07 September 2007

Class Descriptions

PHAR 6111 - Pharmaceutical Care Practice I
This class teaches you about the wonderful world of Medication Therapy Management. That in itself is a whole 'nother blog in itself.

PHAR 6141 - Medical Microbiology & Immunization
Microbiology for pharmacists. We'll be learning about microscopic critters, but mostly viruses and bacteria. This class only goes until October.

PHAR 6151 - Biochemistry Medicinals I
The follow-up to Biochemistry. Except I never had Biochemistry. So it's kind of like a follow-up to Organic Chemistry, with a heavy emphasis on big molecules, like amino acids, DNA, and proteins. Oh, and drugs.

PHAR 6161 - Drug Delivery I
Calculus meets Thermodynamics meets Differential Equations. It's the first course in the study of the math behind the drugs.

PHAR 6171 - Pharmaceutical Care Skills I
Pharmacy Lab! This is where we learn the basics of counting pills, mixing ointments, and creating sterile IV bags. I've been told that since I like baking, I'm going to enjoy this class.

PHAR 7001 - Early Pharmacy Practical Experience I
I'm still trying to figure out exactly what this is, but here goes my best guess. We are assigned to groups of three, comprised of PD1's and PD2's. (PD1 is a first year student, PD2 is a second year.) Our group meets with... someone. You might call it a "patient", but that would be an incorrect term. As first and second year students, we're not really prepared to "treat" a "patient". Instead, we meet with this person, and get our first experience out in the real world, learning the process of working with people out in the real world.

PHSL 6061 - Physiology
PHAR 6105 - Neurophysiology for Pharmacy
Two classes, one meeting time. (It's complicated; ask me sometime and I'll explain the logistics.) This is physiology for pharmacists. According to dictionary.com, physiology is "The biological study of the functions of living organisms and their parts." We study how and why your body works the way it does. I also know the answer to the question, "Why was one of my prerequisites Anatomy, but not Physiology?"

No comments: