02 May 2006

If you can't remember Monday, does Tuesday take its place?

I'm never going to be entirely comfortable with all of this traveling.

For some reason, I've been finding it very difficult to sleep lately when I'm on the road. I think it has something to do with my ARINSO workload increasing. I'm responsible for more of the time management and evaluation stuff, and I've been asked to do a two-day training session in early June. 4-5 hours of sleep a night for several weeks just doesn't cut it. I've noticed I've been eating 3000+ calories per day. I haven't been making as much time to exercise.

That's actually kind of a good thing; my knee has been bothering me recently. I think it was from all the time on the treadmill at a 5% angle. You burn many more calories, but it wears on your body. It seriously hurts to go up stairs. Not like an uncomfortable hurt, but a painful hurt. I talked to a doctor friend of mine; I told him I was too young to be hurting! He recommended 800mg of ibuprofen three times a day with meals. If it's not cleared up in a week or two, I going to go in for X-rays.

Michael and I went to one of Kent Hovind's seminars on Saturday. I've seen all his videos (at least the blue series), but I've never seen him in person. Michael and I had a good time, learned a lot, and did some of that male bonding stuff. Michael bought a copy of the blue series videos, so I hope to watch some of them with Alesha sometime.

The only issue was that I had to get up at 6:00 in the morning to go. That's later than I normally get up, but I usually make up for sleep on the weekends so I don't have to sleep as much during the week. I could tell I was dragging that afternoon.

It turns out that my cousin Allison was in Minneapolis for the weekend. There was a volleyball tournament, and Uncle Tom was here to cheerlead. He called Michael out of the blue; he said he wanted to stop by, say hi, and (of course) see the baby. Since Alesha and I had invited Michael and Aimee over for dinner anyway, we invited him over for dinner too. He said he didn't want to impose, but seriously, he and Aunt Dawn have let me "impose" a good number of times, so it definitely wasn't a big deal. Unfortunately, Allison couldn't come; she had to stay with her team. Alesha got to make chicken and ribs and entertain, Uncle Tom got to meet Micah and my fiancée, Aimee got someone to hold the baby, Michael got to inspect the new cabinets, I got to have good cooking, and Micah got to projectile vomit for the first time.

I didn't sleep on the plane to NJ this week. Add that together with the rest of my sleep deprivation, I was a walking zombie yesterday. I went to the hotel and crashed early. It's amazing what 8 hours of sleep will do for you. That and some caffeine. Diet Berries & Cream Dr. Pepper tastes pretty good. It was a little sweet at first, but the taste grows on you. (But not like a fungus.)

My parents, siblings, and their respective spouses are all coming into town for Micah's baptism this weekend. I can't wait to see everybody!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's been hurting you from running? A lot can depend on the treadmill. It can sometimes be better to jog on a softer surface (grass). Or, even better in my case, is using an exercise bike.

-Will

Nick said...

Stupid Yahoo! mail, putting comments in the trash so I don't know they're here...

This winter in NJ, the only thing the "exercize room" in the Residence Inn had was two treadmills. It was too dark and icy (and dangerous) to go outside. Anyway, the problem was doing it at a 5% incline an hour a night for 4 nights a week.