10 May 2006

SAPpy

Three months ago, I really didn't have an idea how to do any SAP configuration. I had looked at stuff, played around with stuff, pretended I knew stuff, but I didn't actually know what was going on. Functionally, I was a glorified secretary.

Two months ago, something clicked. Suddenly I "got it". I understood Time Evaluation. I knew how and why it worked. I understood how it fit in with Time Recording. I understood what a schema was, what a rule was, and how the two worked together. A visceral epiphany. For the first time since starting my SAP career, I felt useful. Kim (my boss) gave me more responsibility.

Last month, it got hard. It used to be that I could slack a little bit during the day. But not last month. What changed? The client started testing the code. It's not that there was a ton of stuff wrong, it's just that I was responsible to fix it. 13 hour days were pretty much the norm. I started having trouble sleeping. I started eating more. I was physically and mentally wasted on the weekends.

This month, it's over. Not the project, but the super-stress. I've sort of come full circle. I don't feel as suffocated by work. My schedule feels more flexible. And this time, my mental freedom comes from the confidence in my ability, not the lack of my responsibility.

No comments: