Alesha and I had first started seriously considering tuxes around the time she was shopping for her bridesmaids dresses at David's Bridal. After Hours was right next door, so we stopped in to check it out. The guy who helped us actually was helpful. He said that the best thing to do would be to go to the wedding fair in a couple of weeks. Not only would you get a $20 discount there, but you could also get into the cash cube and try to pluck money from the air to get discounts. We thought that was a good plan, since we were going to the fair anyway.
The wedding fair is another story in itself, but we did go, and I did get into the cash cube. I didn't snag many bills (it's much harder than it looks!), but I did get the $50, for a total of $70 more off. As to keep our options open, we stopped by Men's Wearhouse, who was advertising tuxes for $65. Since the deposits were refundable at both places, we made deposits at both.
We went back to both places. For their most modestly priced tuxes, Men's Wearhouse wanted $65. After Hours wanted $125, minus $20 for going to the fair, minus $70 divided by 6 people, coming up to $93. Both offered a "free" tux for me (more on this later). We wanted to go with After Hours, just because they had better customer service and higher quality tuxes, but a $30 is significant. That's when After Hours told us that they'd match any competitor's price.
To make a short story boring, we ended up getting a written price estimate at Men's Wearhouse and using it at After Hours. Here are the things I wish we had known earlier:
- When we got the quote from Men's Wearhouse, they included their $5 insurance thing in the quote. We should have gotten them for $65, not $70, but I didn't want to deal with it at that point.
- Technically the tux is free at any store you end up going with. But you have to pay for the accessories, like the tie and the vest and the cufflinks. That ended up being $35. That's what your $20 deposit goes towards.
No comments:
Post a Comment