I don't like listening to Christian Radio.
Don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with Christian radio. I think it's a nice thing to have available and it can be a very positive force in people's lives.
Now that I've properly qualified my statement, I can say that I just don't like the music they play. I enjoy fast "rock" music, as it were. I also enjoy variety. Christian radio has neither. My brother says that Christian radio's target demographic is women in their mid-40's. I don't particularly dislike Stephen Curtis Chapman, but I don't like listening to his songs 12 times in one hour. The same songs seem to be played over and over. There are songs out there that I will automatically change stations if I hear. These include songs I have theological issues with ("In Christ"), self-help songs ("Voice of Truth"), or songs that are just plain annoying ("The Christmas Shoes"). There are some awesome, contemporary, riveting songs and bands out there, and I think it's a shame they aren't given airtime. At least I'd listen more if they did.
Someone brought to my attention that our local Christian radio station is having a pledge drive. There's nothing wrong with that per se. But other radio stations that I listen to don't have pledge drives. Why would I pledge money to a Christian radio station?
You could argue that Christian radio is spreading the good news of Jesus. But I don't see that happening. I don't think non-Christians listen to Christian radio programming and become Christians. If it is supposed to be a missionary tool, it is a poor one, and I'd do better putting my money to use somewhere else.
So then why pay to keep it on the air? For the money they are asking people to pledge, I could buy an iPod and fill it up with Christian songs I actually like. I could even go old-school and purchase the CD's from the Christian groups I like to listen to.
I guess in the end, I don't mind if they are having pledge drives, because I'm not tuning in anyway.
1 comment:
people who don't know God won't be listening to the music they play unless for some reason their radio gets stuck there by accident while trying to tune in Cities 97.
I have wondered what they would do if there was some competition in the area. The problem with it is that even if they did expand their music past the 12 CDs they play over and over again, they still would have several on-air personalities that would kill any vibe they have going. It might just be me but I have a hard time listening to a few of the djs they have on the station...where do they come up with the random stuff they say? And that's my two cents.
Post a Comment