20 April 2009

Weekend in review

This was, by any account, a good weekend.

First of all, I got to see my nieces. "But you see them all the time!" you might be thinking. But you'd be thinking wrong. I hadn't actually seen them for two weeks. Again, you might be thinking, "Two weeks, what's the big deal?" (See, I can see the questions forming in your mind. It's a talent.)

The biggest difference is with Taryn. It wasn't all that long ago when she *had* to be held. If you'd set her down on the floor, she would cry. Most people could set her down on the floor and it wouldn't be a problem, but every time I would try, she would cry. When I saw her last, she was only quasi-mobile. She could move laterally at a moderate pace by rolling over a couple of times. But moving forward was a struggle. One arm would move just fine, but the other wouldn't bend at the elbow. She looked a soldier in a movie who just got half his arm blown off and was dragging himself over the ground with a stump for an arm towards safety.

Not only is she crawling, but she thinks it's the most funnest thing in the world to pull herself up to a standing position. From here she can reach more things to put in her mouth and gum. When you decide that your photo album isn't the best outlet for her drool, she'll just snort laughter at you as she smiles up at you with her snaggletooth smile.

My cousin Andrea visited this weekend. She and her boyfriend Dave were up for a couple of days, since Andrea had an art teacher convention. It was great to see her and catch up a little bit. As she stated, we haven't seen each other in awhile because no one has gotten married. They saw the Twins in action earlier in the week, seemed to have some sort of reservations about being protected from the elements with a dome. I may one day understand baseball, but I don't think I'll ever understand baseball fans.

Today has been almost as exciting, but not quite as fun. When I got in this morning, the server I had been working on for the speech project was dead. My boss worked on it pretty much all day, and by about 1:00, we figured out the motherboard was shot. All of the data is okay, but we were pretty close to being done with the project, and I was hoping to be more productive for the rest of the day.

I went to class for Pharmacotherapy this morning, and ITV was down. ITV is the system that allows both our campus and the Duluth campus to watch the same instructor. The video feeds had been rerouted through the normal Internet instead of the special high-speed education link this weekend, and no one bothered to switch our connections back. At any rate, the policy is that if ITV doesn't work, class is cancelled. We missed two hours of gastrointestinal excitement, and our test has been moved to Monday.

And that frees up my week! All that's left is oral exams on Thursday. Maybe I should start studying...

No comments: