14 July 2007

Relay for Life

I'm not quite sure where to start with the Relay. It went a lot better than it could have. I know that doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement, but with some of the planning horror stories that I heard, it could have been pretty bad. It was awesome having Alesha's parents there for all of the events last night. They were the first ones to get a seat--front and center, of course--for my speech. Tom probably walked for 3½ hours.

Here's the scoop with fund raising: the Cottage Grove Relay for Life raised over $15,000 for the American Cancer Society. Team Rx raised the most money, with $2,400.80. Alesha and I raised $1,090, 45% of our team's total. And of course this made Alesha the #1 fund raiser of the whole event. See this picture with Alesha and the luminaries? Yeah, she sold all of the ones that you can see.

My opening speech went over pretty well; I think I was a bit more nervous than I should have been. Ben was actually able to video tape the whole thing. Christina, our American Cancer Society liaison, said that she wants a copy of it, because it was one of the best survivor speeches she's heard. It probably didn't hurt that I plugged the ACS a bunch of times. For her, it was probably the speech equivalent of holding up an acronym for ESPN at a football game.

Two events moved me more than anything else last night. The first was my father-in-law. After the opening ceremony, all of the cancer survivors do an opening lap. After this, we (the survivors) got to take a lap with our "caregivers". Of course, my lap was with my wife, 'cause she's the one who takes care of me. There was another lady who was walking around the track by herself in front of the two of us. When Tom saw that, with literally no hesitation he ran out on the track to escort her. She couldn't have been more grateful, and I couldn't have been more proud to be associated with such an honorable man.

The second was about a coworker of mine, who is also named Nick. His father passed away from cancer two years ago. He didn't find out about the Relay for Life until two hours before it started, but he stayed up all night and walked all 12 hours in honor of his dad.

I can't think of any witty phrase to follow that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's stories like that those that make it worth it to endure some of the less joyful stuff about the event. And you couldn't hardly tell you were nervous.