08 July 2007

Transformers (or "If you're going to stand up, keep walking")

As the title suggests, Alesha and I went and saw Transformers this afternoon. I have to say that I really enjoyed myself. True, I left my disbelief firmly suspended outside of the theater. But nothing fills that certain void in my psyche like two-and-a-half hours of hot robot-on-robot action projected onto a 75×32 foot screen. Mix in classic lines from the original movie like "one shall stand, one shall fall" read by the original voice actor for Optimus Prime, and you really don't even need to pretend you need a plot. The only thing that was a power-ballad like "You've Got the Touch" belted out on the wide screen.

I only really had two complaints. I know the large screen size could have had something to do with it, but it was really hard to tell what was going on when one giant robot tackled another. The other had nothing to do with the movie itself.

If the credits come on at a movie, it is totally appropriate to get up and leave. If something comes on after the credits, it is totally appropriate to sit down and watch the screen. It is even appropriate to keep moving towards the exit of the theater. However, it is not appropriate to stand up where you are and stare at the screen. Hello! There are still people behind you, not standing up!

It is a balmy 87ยบ in our house right now. I'm looking forward to getting the A/C fixed tomorrow.

No comments: