18 February 2009

Securing the computer

I have been in the computer field for a number of years now, so I am pretty much a nerd when it comes to that kinds of thing. Like I mentioned before, back in the day when I was installing operating systems for a living, I would reinstall my Windows XP operating system on my home computer whether it needed it or not. I pride myself on having a virus-free computer, and being able to advise others on how to keep theirs the same.

One of the products I have always used is ZoneAlarm. The firewall that comes with Windows XP is slightly better than worthless, and not by much at that. I really like the level of security it has provided. However, I hate the update feature.

With almost every other piece of software, it downloads the updates in the background and simply updates from there. Not Zone Alarm. Every time there is an update, it pops up a warning window. I usually click the snooze button since the process is so cumbersome, but I decided it was time to do the ol' update today, so I went for it.

When you click the update button, you are directed to the Zone Alarm website. It then "recommends" that you download the pay version. No thank you. You then download the update file. The update file doesn't actually update the malicious file definitions for you, it actually brings up an installation screen. During the installation, you have to be careful not to push the "add this toolbar" option; it can't be removed unless you uninstall the firewall. After all of this, the program makes you reboot the system. Now I understand that a reboot is sometimes necessary, but this program makes you do it right away. It asked me if I wanted to reboot and I hit the cancel button. It rebooted the system anyway.

That was the last straw. I like the anti-malware, but having to go through hoops like that when they want me to update every other week is rediculous. I am trying another firewall program; I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: