Last year my brother announced that he was teaching AP Computer Science. He was super excited about the whole thing, but (as far as I know) he had never taken a programming course in his life. And he certainly did not know Java, the language the test uses. He was learning the material roughly a night before his four students did, and it was kind of cool participating in some of that learning process. I do have a BS in CS you know.
Nathan got his scores back today. Well, not his scores, but the scores of his students. For AP, a "passing" grade is 3 out of a maximum score of 5. Three out of the four students took the test, and the national "pass" rate is 54% percent. I'm sure Nathan was hoping for one passing score.
Today at 11:33 and out of the blue, I got a call from Nathan with the test results. Two of his students got a 4 and one got a 5. I am so proud of my brother.
Good teaching is one-fourth preparation and three-fourths theater. ~Gail Godwin
1 comment:
When I was a high school senior, I had to take the Advanced Physics class instead of AP Physics because I couldn't take Computer Science 4 and AP Physics at the same time, and decided that Computer Science was more important to me. I decided to take the AP Physics exam anyway (along with the 12 students that took the AP class), and I was the one of only 2 students to get a 4, the other students got a 3 or less. I was also one of only 3 students out of 25 to get a 5 on the AP Calc exam.
Post a Comment