Life in the Mankato pharmacy is going better than I expected. Here are some of the fun facts I have learned!
Fact: Immanuel St. Joseph came from the merger of the Lutheran Hospital (Immanuel) and the Catholic Hospital (St. Joseph). El Jefe would approve.
Fact: If you hear a code purple, a riot is occurring at the hospital.
Fact: The pharmacy-nursing feud almost rises to the level of the famed pirate-ninja rivalry.
From other horror stories I heard from other interns, I certainly was not sure what to expect at my particular location. They seem to have it together out here. There is a schedule of events they have me going through to make sure I hit everything. I will get to see a surgery and everything!
Yesterday was pretty much all orientation stuff. We got the schedule, a tour, and a reading list of stuff we have to read by the end of our three-week rotation. Today we went to a medication management workshop and meeting. Representatives from all the pharmacists and nurses get together once a month and discuss the medication procedures that need to be followed when a patient checks in, checks out, or changes status in the hospital (like going from labor to postpartum, or the ER to the hospital). It was informative, but it was hard to stay excited when you don't know anything about the process. The other interesting part was that in a room of 20 people, I was the only guy.
How do you top off a day like that? I biked to Justin Morneau's house. Yup, that Justin Morneau. My wife's aunt Sheila showed me the house he purchased in the area not too far from their house where I am staying. The trash can was out by the road, and we though of Heidi and seriously considered rifling through it for trinkets. Maybe next time...
The strongest thing that baseball has going for it today are its yesterdays. ~Lawrence Ritter
Edit: You see how big of a baseball fan I am; I can't tell the difference between Joe Maurer and Justin Morneau. They're both Twins players with the initials "JM". How am I supposed to keep up?
1 comment:
You biked?! Good heavens. Did you wear a helmet?
Good luck w/the internship!
Post a Comment