07 August 2009

Figures Lie and Liars Figure

I went in to the doctor on Tuesday to get a mole removed. Well, not a mole, but some sort of similar growth. One of the questions to nurse asked me was, "Do you wear a bicycle helmet?" I told her I didn't own a bike. She looked kind of puzzled, and then said, "Well, if you had a bike, would you wear a helmet? It's important for safety." I laughed and told her it didn't matter, because I still didn't own a bike.

Then I thought, how important is it, really, that I wear a bike helmet. I looked up some statistics.

From http://www.bhsi.org/stats.htm:
  • There are 73 to 85 million bicycle riders in the US.
  • 540,000 bicyclists visit emergency rooms with injuries every year.
  • 67,000 bicyclists that visit emergency rooms have head injuries.
  • 27,000 bicyclists that visit emergency rooms have injuries serious enough to be hospitalized.
  • 698 bicyclists reportedly died on US roads in 2007.
Doing a little math, here are the odds of that actually happening:
  • ER Visit: 1 in 135-157
  • Head Injury: 1 in 1090-1269
  • Hospitalization: 1 in 2704-3148
  • Death: 1 in 104,585-121,777
Hmm... I originally wrote this to say how stupid wearing a helmet would be. The death thing isn't going to be that common. And ER Visits aren't a huge deal; I think every kid goes to the ER at least once in their life. But a 1:1000 chance of a head injury? That's a bigger deal that I though. To put it in perspective (from airlinepilotforums.com with these statistics added in):

The odds of...
  • Having one container of ice cream in the freezer: 9 in 10
  • Getting away with murder: 1 in 2
  • Getting hemorrhoids: 1 in 25
  • Being on a plane with a drunken pilot: 1 in 117
  • ER Visit from Bike Accident: 1 in 135-157
  • Audited by the IRS: 1 in 175
  • Having your identity stolen: 1 in 200
  • Writing a New York Times best seller: 1 in 220
  • Head Injury from Bike Accident: 1 in 1,090-1,269
  • Dying from any kind of injury in the next year: 1 in 1,820
  • Hospitalization from Bike Accident: 1 in 2,704-3,148
  • Being considered possessed by Satan: 1 in 7,000
  • Finding a 4-leaf clover on the first try: 1 in 10, 000
  • Being murdered: 1 in 18,000
  • Becoming a pro athlete: 1 in 22,000
  • Striking in rich on Antiques Roadshow: 1 in 60,000
  • Being bitten by a snake, bee, or other venomous creature: 1 in 83,930
  • Dating a supermodel: 1 in 88,000
  • Death from Bike Accident: 1 in 104,585-121,777
  • Being attacked by a dog: 1 in 131,890
  • Struck by Lightning: 1 in 576,000
The average human has one breast and one testicle. ~Des McHale

No comments: