08 August 2009

King of the Aztecs

Today will be known as "the day Alesha slept in". It's not unusual that I sleep in. It is much rarer that my wife will sleep in past me. It is unheard of that she will sleep in until 10:45.

Today we went to the excitement that is the Carver County Fair. I think this may have been the first time we went without Kim and Paul, although I could be wrong on that count. They have been busy with the new baby (congratulations guys!), so we attended "the excitement that is" without them.

For dinner tonight, we went to the Mexican Restaurant in Waconia, El Rey Azteca. Good points: great tasting food, reasonably priced, we never had to ask for refills on our drinks. Creepy: all of the employees at the restaurant were male. Well, except for the girl at the cash register. Do they have a no female policy? Were all the women at the fair? Were all the women in the kitchen?

As the evening went on, one of the employees routinely came around to our table, and each time asked how the food was, can I get you refills, or do you need anything. At the end of the night, he even volunteered to take our credit card to the register for us. That's not unusual. What was unusual was that this guy couldn't have been more than nine years old. He seriously has a bright future in management or politics.

The funniest part of the evening was when he came back with the bill. He brought back two credit card slips, which had run through a manual imprint device. "The storm last night knocked out our internet, so we'll have to run the card the old-fashioned way." Old fashioned? I barely remember running credit cards manually! Since he was acting like he was my age, I figured I'd try some interaction. "I heard the storm was pretty bad here; looks like we got about six inches of rain." "Five inches. Our pool is overflowing at home!" He collected the card and wished us a good night.

I am going to be in Mankato doing an internship for the next three weeks. I am going to try to be better about blogging, so I hope you like hearing about working in a hospital.

A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor's book. ~Irish Proverb

No comments: