As I am currently up to one hour of sleep in the last 33 hours, you'll have to excuse the typos.
It turns out that the electrical systems work correctly. You have to leave your card-key in a slot by the door for the electricity in the room to work. It's probably to cut down on the electricity used in the room (so you don't leave your lights on, etc.
Deidre and I hit a whole lot of sites. I'll try to give a brief description of each. There are links to what I saw (if I can find them) and the names of the pictures I took when I was there. We must have crossed downtown at least six times, so these aren't necessarily in order...
Tour d'Angle - Original City Wall- DSC01446
![]() | A piece of the wall that originally surrounded the city. |
Albert on a Horse - DSC01447
![]() | I can't remember who this is... but his name is obviously Albert. Oh, and he's riding a horse. |
Two guys on horses - DSC01450
![]() | Again, I have no idea who these guys are. I thought the bird on his head looked funny. |
Notre-Dame de la Chapelle (Our Lady of the Chapel)
We walked in and mass was going on... which you would expect to happen on a Sunday morning, I guess. The place was packed to the gills; standing room only.
Author - DSC01451
![]() | Yeah, I didn't write down his name. But I do remember he's an author. Edit: Apparently this is Bela Barkot. Thanks Will! |
Galeries Royales St-Hubert - DSC01452
![]() | The first enclosed mall in the world. Unfortunately, nothing much was open on Sunday. |
Grande Place - Bourse (Stock Exchange) - DSC01453-56, 67-68
Manneken-Pis - DSC01457
Eglise Notre-Dame du Sablon (Church of Our Lady of the Sablon) - DSC01459-62
![]() | This place was awesome looking. It is a huge Gothic cathedral with an intricate impressive arch. |
Musée d'Art Ancien (Museum of Ancient Art) - DSC01463
China Town - DSC01469-70
![]() | Okay, maybe not China Town, but who would have thought that there would be Chinese markets in Brussels? |
St. Catherine's - DSC01471,81-83
![]() | A very nice cathedral. Services were not going on when we entered. |
Rugbyman's - DSC01473-80
![]() | Mmmmm. Lobster. |
We Love America - DSC01484
![]() | Some random store. If you look in the lower-right hand corner you can see "God Bless America", slightly cut off. This was nice to see, especially after being yelled at as an imperialist earlier. |
Palais de Justice (Palace of Justice) - DSC01487
![]() | A huge, huge building! I hope to get more pictures soon. |
World War I & II Monuments - DSC01488-90
| Several monuments to those killed in the World Wars from Belgium. |
Anyway, there's probably much more I could write or say, and I probably will later, but we did see a lot today. I'm going to crash now.














1 comment:
I believe Belgium had a King Albert (DSC01447).
The two guys (DSC01450) look mysteriously like Don Quixote and his sidekick Sancho Panza?!?!
Your unknown caped man (DSC01451)is none other than composer Bela Bartok.
I have heard of the Manneken-Pis!!! It reminds me of how P.P(itney) would always have to go...
Such great pics. Especially you eating lobster (l'homard!!!), FL boy. The buildings are magnificent. I am surprised they haven't kicked you out of the country yet!
Post a Comment