I'm in Brussels and not Atlanta, so that's a good thing. And I even got a window seat, so that's an even better thing. But eight hours is a long time to be on a plane.
So my big master plan was to sleep on the plane trip down here. Yeah, that didn't happen. It seemed to be working beautifully at first; I fell asleep about half an hour after taking off, thanks to the awesome travel pillow Nathan & April got me for my birthday. I gave instructions to Peace Corps Laura from Panama (my seating companion for this trip) to wake me for dinner, about an hour later.
I think the chicken was either poisoned or made from grade F meat. My stomach felt like crap the entire rest of the trip. On top of this, I felt pressure on the left side of my chest almost the entire rest of the flight. This was probably muscle pain due to playing with Alesha's friend's kids yesterday, but it's still a disconcerting feeling 7 miles above the Atlantic ocean, hours from land. For most of the rest of the trip I pretended to sleep, but never actually got the real thing. I've gotten about an hour of sleep in the last twenty-four hours.Fortunately, I'm not going to let a little thing like "sleep deprivation" get in the way of exploring. I'm meeting Deidre in the lobby at 10:00 so we can go see the city.
The hotel room here is tiny. I have a mini-wardrobe, two twin beds shoved together, a TV (only two English stations, one being MTV), a desk, and a bathroom the size of my closet. Half of the electric things in the room don't work, including the bathroom light. Oh, and the power converter I bought at Radio Shack doesn't work. Laugh at them if they say you don't need one with a third prong. And speaking of power, Delta planes don't have power jacks either.I started taking pictures. I'll be posting them using shutterfly or something. Stay tuned for the URL.
No comments:
Post a Comment