I am currently enrolled in eight classes in school this semester. Since I totally neglected to say what any of my classes were, I thought I would make up for it this time and write a little about each of my classes. So here is the first in a series of, um, eight posts.
Drugs of Abuse is an elective I am taking this semester. The official description of the course is: "Basic medicinal chemistry of substances of abuse, associated paraphernalia." We are learning the science of illegal drugs, including what chemical mechanisms are used and the chemistry behind their manufacture. We will also learn what people might need to manufacture the substance and what paraphernalia is used. We have former addicts come in to class and share their experiences. We will also have a manufacturer of drug test kits come in and talk to us about how people beat them. Topics covered will include things like cocaine, ecstasy, ketamine, LSD, methamphetamine (meth), inhalants, marijuana, morphine, opium, and steroids.
So why am I taking this elective? And no, Will, it is not to expand a business empire. For one, the topic is interesting. I am a quintessential middle-class suburbanite who has trouble white-boy dancing. I have had a sheltered life in regards to illicit drugs. As a pharmacist, I am going to be exposed to lots of different types of people at the pharmacy to ask questions or pick up drugs. I think it will be useful to know what kind of signs to look for if someone is trying to pick up "insulin syringes" or, more importantly, needs to know whether or not to go to the emergency room because of something they've ingested.
Today we learned about the history of cocaine and marijuana in the United States. I guess I didn't learn anything I couldn't have picked up in other locations, but it was fascinating to watch. But then again, I'm a sucker for documentaries.
1 comment:
I'm still going to ask, since I had the thought before I even approached the reference to me in the post, if you are taking this class as a supplement to your healthy business of internet porn.
-tFJ
Post a Comment