28 January 2009

Heroin

We learned about heroin in Drugs of Abuse today. We learned how to harvest morphine from poppies and how to make heroin from that. It's scary what you can do with a quick trip to Menard's. We learned how to tell the low-quality Mexican heroin from the high-quality Columbian stuff. We also learned how to avoid leaving track marks when shooting up and how to beat heroin drug detection tests.

Did you know that all the morphine grown in India, in fact, comes from North India?

We also watched a documentary of a heroin addict in the early 1980's. The camera followed him around as he stole $600 of TV antennas a day to support his habit. He would skip eating for several days, and even stated he hadn't eaten meat in months. We saw him lie, steal, shoot up, abandon his family, and sleep in a filthy hovel because he was addicted to drugs. It really was nauseating. The whole time we followed him over five years he kept telling the cameraman how dope had messed up his life, how it made him leave his family.

I can stand watching most shows on TV that depict emergency room-type accidents. But I can't stand to watch a knife or needle pierce the skin. Once it is peeled back, I don't have a problem watching internal organs. But I made myself watch the IV injections today. It made the whole experience just a little more real.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, of course, none of that was news to you...