27 January 2009

Why today was a good day

I got all my homework done! My goal is to stay on track with my classwork, and so far so good. Granted, I don't have all that much homework, but the homework that I have is done. Yay!

My tooth really hurt today, but I diagnosed it with my classmates and it's a sinus problem, not a tooth problem! Why is that good? Not only do I now know how to diagnose a toothache, but a sinus problem is easily fixed with pseudoephedrine, which is cheaper than a dental visit. Yay!

I upgraded Alesha's computer! It had been having problems where iTunes would annoyingly stop playing when you did anything, including open the Internet or a document. It was pretty much a computer OR music player, but not both. I hypothesized it was a processor problem; it had a 2.5 GHz processor. We got our hands on a computer with a 2.8 GHz processor and I switched it out. The music is working again. Yay!

I have a new favorite drug! Etorphine is a morphine derivative. It is 500 to 1000 times stronger than morphine. 1 mL (or 4 mg) is enough to take down a 5 ton elephant, and one drop on human skin will kill someone from respiratory failure in a few minutes. It must be stored in a safe or steel cabinet "equivalent to a US Government Classification V security container." Yay!

I got a job! I'm ironing out the details, but we've agreed on pay and hours and such. I'm going to be setting up a server and converting perl scripts into Java (Java?). It will have something to do with natural language processing, which has to do with getting the computer to "understand" written and spoken language. More specifically, the guy I'll be working for has interests in "Natural language processing (NLP) and its applications to clinical research, biomedical test analysis, automatic term extraction and frame-based concept representation, syntax-semantics interface, hybrid machine learning and rule-based approaches to NLP, semantic relatedness in the biomedical domain, automatic classification and categorization, automatic speech recognition." Yay!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hooray for work (although I have no idea what you were sharing for the last few sentences of this blog it all sounds great...)