29 January 2009

Other stuff I do

I just got re-elected the web master for College Board this year. College Board is the student government organization for the College of Pharmacy. I took over the position because there wasn't a good place for students to go to find information about the college and pharmacy life in general. You can see the website here:

http://www.umncollegeboard.com/

As you can probably tell, I am much better with the back-end stuff than the flashy graphics. There are a couple of things I'm pretty proud about on the web site. I got twelve separate organizations to create Google calendars for their organizations. Not only do they have a better idea of what's going on, everyone else can see it as well. I customized the agenda view of the calendar on the front page to not only look pretty (at least in Firefox), but to contain everyone else's calendars as well. Since everyone can update their own calendars, they don't have to email me when they want something added; they just throw it on the calendar and it magically appears.

The menu on the left side took me awhile as well. If you're at all familiar with HTML, this menu can be edited as a simple unordered list that has a cascading style sheet (CSS) to make it pretty. The hard part wasn't really getting it to work, it was getting it to work in Internet Explorer. IE apparently has a different set of rules than the rest of the world when it comes to formatting.

I'm kind of proud of the minutes page as well. It looks pretty boring, but I made it to be easily updated. When meeting minutes are sent to me, I just upload it to the directory it goes into. The link for the minutes is then automatically added and listed in the proper school year.

Now I have a whole extra year to fool around with the web site. My plan is to get everything documented for the next person so they know what they're doing. Apparently there aren't too many Computer Science majors in the College of Pharmacy.

No comments: