08 July 2005

Waitin' for the bus

Midi Station, Brussels, Belgium

I guess all of the wandering around yesterday paid off! I made it to the bus stop with no problems this morning, although I did miss the 7:40 and now have to wait until 8:00.

And even more of the joys of traveling: there are a couple of winos here trying to get their day started. I take that back; one is trying to get the day started for both of them. The smell of beer and body odor is pretty overwhelming, even ten yards upwind.

I ended up crashing once I got back to the hotel. I guess I still needed some rest after this week. My only regret is that I missed hanging out with Sebastian and César on their last night here. They head back to Madrid this weekend. I didn't believe them when they told me that this trip was the their first time conversing in English with native speakers. Oh that my Spanish is as good as their English was the next time I travel abroad!

So how about those bombings yesterday? A couple people have asked if I'm worried about being over here or traveling this weekend. Honestly, I'm really not. I've heard it many times, but most recently from Deidre: living in fear is no way to live. You can't get up every morning thinking that someone is going to get you today.

I've also thought up some pretty decent rationalizations why I'm going to be okay for the rest of the trip:
  • The bombings happened in London, why should they now happen in Paris?
  • Security has probably cracked down so much recently that right now is the perfect time to travel
  • The time to attack trains is during the week when the crowds are biggest

Rational? Problably not. Then again, a totally rational person wouldn't get out of bed in the morning.

No comments: