01 July 2005

Mirror, mirror

between Brussels, Belgium, and Dublin, Ireland, via Ryan Air

I guess now is as good a time for a little reflection as any. Actually, you probably know how I'm enjoying my trip so far as much as I do; most of it has been chronicled here.

If I had it to do all over again, there are probably some things I would have done differently. I didn't do any research before I came over. For some reason I thought that I could just get up in the morning, decide what I was going to do that day, and then head out. Because of this, I missed the opportunity to see many things here in town that are only open during normal business hours. I wish I had known about the public transportation situation. It would have saved me some money in the long run. I would also have some sort of clue as how to get around over here.

But all in all, I know I can't complain. I really do feel like I'm maximizing my time over here, regardless of the initial lack of a plan. There hasn't been a day yet where I've just sat in my hotel room. I've seen most of the things I wanted to see; it almost hurts to think of how much of Brussels I've seen. I've learned some very valuable lessons about overseas travel. I'm going to Ireland with locals, so I know I'm going to see a lot and have a blast. I'm going to Paris with one of my best friends from college, who has been there and knows the area. And I've met some pretty cool people along the way.

But as hokey as it sounds, the most rewarding part of the trip so far has really been this site. Thank you Patrick for suggesting the idea. I'll be able to look back at this years from now and remember everything that I did. And as an added bonus, all my friends and family get to see what I'm doing as it happens. I'd like to think that I'm pretty good at doing this sort of thing, and all the feedback I've gotten has been positive. I think it has also made me enjoy and appreciate the time that I have over here that much more.

No comments: